Sunday 30 July 2017

Weekly Musings

2017 - Week Thirty
'Medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.'
(Dead Poet's Society - Robin Williams)


This week started in (not so) sunny Bergerac; we all went into the town centre for a wander along the riverside, had a coffee and cookie outside the church and had a look around the Maison du Vin - a tourist centre and wine shop. Luckily the sunshine came out in the afternoon so we could spend it sunbathing by the pool and indulging in a little Aperol spritz, and then we had a lovely meal with Claire's family along with lots of wine and chatted into the early hours.


On Tuesday my flight wasn't until late afternoon, so we went for a walk in the forest in the morning, waved goodbye to the Morris clan, then I chilled out and read for a bit before partaking in some shopping (I got a tasselled necklace and some navy silk cigarette pants from Promod) before catching my plane back to Liverpool. I drove straight to my parent's house for tea and collected Ferryn, it is so good to have her back in the flat with me after almost a month!


My track for this week is by Purity Ring who I adore, I saw them back in 2015 at Manchester Cathedral which as a venue really complimented their music and quirkiness. Although this song didn't strike me at first it is definitely a grower, so I am looking forward to hearing the rest of their new material.



Wednesday was the dreaded first day back at work, although it was a very relaxing one due to Aum's jetlag; we went for lunch at The Village Cafe in Hale and I finished at 4pm! On Thursday I took him to see Despicable Me 3, which was a pretty funny watch actually, and in the evening I had my first date with S, who I matched with on Tinder the day I landed from LA, before I deleted it again. 


We met in Spinningfields and he took me to Manchester House for a couple of cocktails which was a decent choice in my eyes - we sat outside on the terrace but swiftly moved inside when the rain started! He is very easy on the eye and charming, but made a couple of comments that wound me up a tad, so I wasn't entirely sure. We moved on to Crazy Pedro's for food after, (where I finally got to try the chicken, waffle and maple syrup pizza I've fancied for ages) and had a final couple of drinks in Fazenda, and the longer I spent with him the more I got a glimpse of the guy under the bravado, who I decided was worth a second date to suss out!


 On Friday Aum had a playdate with his friend Max, and we went to Bistrot Pierre in Altrincham for lunch. I just had a simple tomato and basil soup but it was hearty and flavoursome, and made me feel healthier than going for steak or mussels with chips like I normally would there! 


Yesterday I was up bright and early to catch a train to Chester to attend the races. We met at Navigation Road station to all get it together, enjoying a few road drinks en route. We arrived in the city and walked to Carlucchio's for brunch (latte, Aperol spritz and an Italian take on eggs Benedict) and then went into the raceground, equipped with a hip flask of gin! I gave myself a limit of twenty quid for bets, and won a couple but only a few pounds, still fun though and there was a buzzing atmosphere as usual on race days. The weather stayed warm so we got on the Pimms and had an ice cream, and then once the last race was finished we went for espresso martinis and nibbles at The Olive Tree, a Mediterranean restaurant. We stopped for a final couple in a little pub by the station before we got the train home a little worse for wear!


Today I stayed at Mum's for cake and a dog walk, and now I am home and doled up to go for my second date with S - a bar crawl around Manchester starting in Allotment - update to follow!


UPDATE: Started as we meant to go on with a shot of tequila and a prosecco in the first bar! Then went on to Rosylee for a cocktail (very quiet but interesting drinks menu and swanky interior), had a food break - cobb salad - in West Corner a New York style diner, further cocktail and a shot of Patron in The Fitzgerald, and then a last glass of wine in Bluu at the end of Thomas Street. Unusual being out on a Sunday but was a welcome change, enjoyable company and scored an unexpectedly dreamy kiss when I was dropped off home afterwards. Happy girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment