Monday 5 July 2010

Glastonbury Festival 2010: Day 3





Friday

The first 'proper' day of music retained the soaring summer temperatures, and put everyone in the mood to sample some live audio action. In the gaps in between performances we mooched around the Circus Field, encountering a scary alien creature, a very agile performer, and playing catch with a giant rubber globe! Obviously being unable to split myself into however many alter egos would be needed for the many music stages, the following is a selection of the performances I chose to view.
Rolf Harris
When I first heard Rolf was opening The Pyramid Stage, I didn't really know what to expect. I know barely any songs (although I did recognise more that I thought I would) and have only really seen as as the presenter of Animal Hospital.However, the atmosphere was electric; and whether it was because it marked the official start of the festival, or that people were in awe of a man aged eighty who still managed to perform 'The Court of King Caratacus', the crowd went wild.
The Stranglers
Having grown up listening to my dad playing his Stranglers collection, I thought it would be a nice break from the more modern artists to shimmy along to their session on the Other Stage. They played all the classics; ‘Golden Brown’, ‘No More Heroes’, ‘Peaches’, ‘Walk On By’ and ‘All Day And All Of The Night’ and for me, it was the signal that the real music had begun.
Snoop Dogg
Snoop got the punters moving even in the lazy afternoon heat, with his brilliant set which merged his old and new songs effortlessly. Clutching a customised crystal encrusted microphone, he got chants going, shuffled around the stage and had charisma by the bucketload. He attempted a few collaborations single handedly, notably 'Signs' and 'P.I.M.P' (usually featuring Justin Timberlake and 50 Cent respectively) which I felt were just as good as the originals. And you have to admire a man who is seen as cool despite wearing knee high socks with shorts, and having the hair style of an eight year old girl.
La Roux
After Snoop, I walked quickly to The Other Stage, as I wanted a prime spot near the front for Florence and the Machine. Because of my speediness, I managed to see the whole of La Roux's set from a pretty good position. I was rather wary of watching her live, as a lot of her records are heavily synthesised and her voice often feels manipulated electronically. I was pleasantly surprised however. All the tracks that she perfomed sounded exactly like on her album, and the crowd were singing along in force to 'In For The Kill' and 'Bulletproof' which made watching the gig alone a much more enjoyable experience. She sported her trademark huge ginger quiff, a white suit jacket and skin tight leggings adorned by buttons down the sides, which as a fashion lover, gave me even more respect for her.
Florence and the Machine
And so to the woman well known for her (often bizarre) fashion sense- Florence Welch. Florence and the Machine were, without question, the band I was most excited to see when I heard that they were playing Glastonbury 2010. I fell in love with Miss Welch's voice upon obtaining the album 'Lungs', and her ravishing locks hark back to my own redhead days of which I am all too fond. Accompanied by 'the Machine' (her band) in a flurry of violins, drums and a gorgeous harp, I fell for her all over again, and sang to my heart's content, probably much to the dismay of the strangers next to me! The playsuit that she wore was stunning; pure white and ruffled to within an inch of its life, and it succeeded in making her unique look even more enviable. At various points throughout the performance, Florence appeared to be overcome with emotion, which was a good way for the audience to see how humble she is amidst the whirlwind of success that has encompassed her over the last 18 months.
Gorillaz
At the end of such an eventful day of performances, I was really geared up for the headliners. Gorillaz were signed up for the slot last minute after U2 cancelled a month before the festival due to front man Bono injuring his back. As it started, the aesthetics all seemed great, huge multicoloured letters declared who were on stage, and a large screen across the back of the set had continuous videos and graphics playing to accompany the music. Sadly, this was one of the better aspects of the show. Personally I found their choice of tracks a little self-indulgent, playing a lot of new material that many of the crowd didn't recognise, which wasn't great for creating a rapport with the audience.After about forty minutes, Damon Albarn introduced an Arabic orchestra, who despite sounding lovely, did make me feel a little cheated out of Gorillaz stage time. Even bringing on rock veteran Lou Reed mid-set failed to spark excitement in me, and I left after an hour!

No comments:

Post a Comment