Sunday 23 April 2017

Weekly Musings

2017 - Week Sixteen
'A quoi sert la lumière du soleil si on a les yeux fermés? – What use is the light of the sun if you have your eyes closed’?'
(Arabian proverb)

I wrote the majority of this week's post as it happened, as
I am currently on my best friend Emily's hen do in Ibiza and knew I would be hard pushed to get much done due to being preoccupied drinking and celebrating! 

The run up to the trip went surprisingly quickly, but the Bank Holiday Monday definitely helped. I spent it chilling out and recovering from the weekend, topped off with a roast dinner at my parents' house. I was back at work on Tuesday and it was the last day of the holidays, so after getting a lot of school-based errands out of the way, Aum and I went to Sweet Octopus Japanese patisserie in Altrincham for a coffee and cake. I had a chestnut creme patissiere filled cupcake, whilst Aum had a raspberry and white chocolate one. It is such a cute little place that not many people know about, and the cakes/ pastries are really top-end and professional, I would highly recommend. 


That evening C came to mine and we cooked a stir fry and watched Donnie Darko (I embarrassingly admit I hadn't seen it before) which I thoroughly enjoyed. It was nice to see him for longer than half an hour this time, and I'm having fun getting to know him better, I think we are quite similar in that we are both pretty kooky so it makes me feel like I can be 100% myself and not have to reveal it in layers of crazy!

This week's track is an old classic from my secondary school days, but I heard it on Gaydio whilst driving to work early this week for the first time in ages so had to include it, what a tune!



On Wednesday I had a monumental event in my writing career, as I interviewed Danny from McFly all the way from L.A! I was really nervous preparing, and getting the wifi/ signal/ recording all sorted was an absolute nightmare, but once we got chatting I actually felt quite relaxed, and got some great material for the article I am writing for the next print issue of Candid (front cover baby!).


Thursday and Friday were spent prepping for my holiday (and I got an Instagram poem up, check it out here), packing, hair dyeing, having my nails done etc. and I went straight from work to collect Abi and together we went to Tasha's for a lift to the airport. All went smoothly, and our nine strong party arrived pretty pissed on prosecco at our home for the weekend in Ibiza Old Town just after midnight, where we opened some wine and christened our incredible apartment.


Yesterday we got up to catch the ferry across to Formentera island for the day. It was a short taxi ride away to the port at Playa d'en Bossa where the boat left at 11am and cost 22 euro return for a 35/40 min trip. Once we arrived we flagged taxis down and went to Calo de Sant Agusti, a beautiful cove that we had entirely to ourselves. We ate before sunbathing at Can Rafalet restaurant, where all nine of us shared a huge paella and some sangria which was delicious.


After a day basking in the rays, we took the ferry home at 6pm and all got spruced up for the evening's antics. We had arranged for two guys (shoutout to Gary and Steve) from a company called Sabor to come to the apartment at 7.30pm to make us cocktails and cater a barbecue on our roof terrace. It was such a gorgeous night and felt so much more special and personal than going for a meal in a restaurant. We could play whatever music we wanted, had unlimited drinks (we chose margaritas, French martinis and mojitos) and the food was insane - jacket potatoes, marinated chicken, a variety of sausages, burgers, three types of salad and for dessert: chocolate brownies and vanilla frozen cheesecake! I would definitely consider using them if I were to go back with a large group again.


Stomachs lined and all feeling suitably lubricated with alcohol, we left the bride and groom's mums at home and went to Pacha for a boogie. It was 50 euro to get in which nearly made me cry handing over the credit card, but it was so much fun and the place was bouncing with energy - and there were some rather attractive men in there! We fell into bed at about 5am after a fabulous start to the trip.


After a decent lie in and some scrambled eggs with toast to soak up the booze, we went to Malibu Beach Club on Sant Jordi de ses Salines beach today, where we found a good spot and got back on it with some cava sangria kindly paid for by my best friend Lydia who couldn't make the hen due to travelling Australia. A bit later on we ate some food there that I had preordered - mussels, chicken Caesar salad, nachos with chicken and cheese and mixed paella. It was all so well presented and tasted amazing, and together with the stunning views and 22 degree sunshine it made for a perfect day.


I am going to sign off this post here and fill in the rest of the holiday's antics in next week's post; off to put my gladrags on and have a chilled gin!

No comments:

Post a Comment