Sunday 28 May 2017

Weekly Musings

2017 - Week Twenty One
'Age does not protect you from love. But love, to some extent, protects you from age.'
(Anais Nin)

It would be impossible to start this post without mentioning the horrific terrorist attack that took place in my home city on Monday night. I saw the ripples of chaos via social media just before I went to bed and woke up to the awful news. Despite the sorrow felt by everyone in the vicinity, and indeed the world, seeing our resilience, love and fighting spirit in the aftermath this week has made me immensely proud to be a Mancunian; and the bumblebee tattoo I had done a couple of months ago is certainly in good company now!


My track for this week is a song that really resonates with me. It came out a few years ago when I was visiting my friend Claire from uni at her family home in Bergerac, France. I had just had my heart broken for the first time, and as well as being devastated, it had also opened my eyes to the hurt I had unwittingly caused people in my relationships in the past. We were driving through acres and acres of vineyards to go to a gathering at a remote farmhouse, laughing away with the windows rolled down and the sun beaming on us with this tune playing super loud and, romantic as it sounds, I remember it feeling like a life affirming moment, a turning point. It came on shuffle randomly this week on Tuesday, and after everything that happened on Monday it made me well up in the car, as it transported me back to that memory and seemed like the perfect reminder to stay strong and move forward despite feeling pain. 


On Wednesday after work it was the rehearsal for Emily and Smeed's wedding. It was fairly simple, but I was glad to practise walking to the front and doing my reading before the big day, knowing how clumsy I am I wanted to eradicate any possible errors! We went to The Con Club for a couple of drinks with everyone afterwards, which was gorgeous on the patio in the sunshine. I babysat on Thursday and had a quiet evening on Friday knowing I had to be up super early yesterday to begin the day's events, although I did manage to get a new poem up on Instagram, read it here.


Yesterday morning we had to be at Sand hairdressers in Altrincham for 8.30am, and after all having our hair done in variations of beachy waves with a side plait, we headed back to Emily's mum's for some breakfast, makeup and the all important fizz to start off the celebrations. The wedding car was a cream stretch mini which looked cool even if it was a nightmare to get (or fall) into, and we arrived at the church in time to beat the torrential rain - 'though Emily wasn't as lucky!


It was a lovely service, and my reading received a lot of praise which I was really pleased about. The reception afterwards was at The Oaktree of Peover which is a stunning venue, and there were little touches added like having a 'Pimp your prosecco' area, blankets for when it got chillier later on, and stone baked pizzas outside for the evening snacks, which went down an absolute treat. The speeches had the whole room giggling, and a special mention has to go out to the band who were called in last minute after the original duo cancelled; their setlist was full of gems that had the dancefloor permanently buzzing which always makes for a fun wedding.  


It was an incredible day, spent with lots of people I adore, eating, drinking and laughing, and we continued the party today (after a quick chill session in the jacuzzi/ pool) with a barbecue at Smeed's parents house in Gatley which was a nice way of prolonging the weekend's events. It feels sad to all be over now, but I know there will be lots of photos popping up in the coming weeks as reminders of a beautiful day for a wonderful couple.


No comments:

Post a Comment