Sunday 8 August 2010

Days Out...

Ikea

Since my first time when I was about eight years old, I have always loved trips to Ikea. Never mind the zoo or the cinema, a forty minute drive to bounce on beds and play house (usually followed by an ice cream) was my idea of a perfect day. Over ten years later, and I still look forward to my mum suggesting we head there if we are decorating a new room in the house, or just if we fancy a wander around somewhere that is bound to inspire.

As I am lucky enough to have a whole house to put my personal stamp on for my final year at university, I knew the day would soon arrive when the subject of returning to the Swedish empire would be broached. Armed with a tape measure, a list of essentials and a very clear idea of the look I wanted for each room, we set off for the Ashton-under-Lyne branch in Manchester.

After negotiating the confusing carpark and lift, we entered the showroom, and spent two hours measuring, choosing and marvelling at some of the furniture. My personal favourite game is looking inside the kitchen cupboards, to see what gadget is to be found inside. From roll out shoe racks to magnetic strips for knives, hidden dishwashers to fold out ironing boards, you never quite know what will appear behind the doors.

For adults who want to feel like children again, the kids section always does the trick. Walking past mini wardrobes, bunkbeds with slides off the end and giant leaf shaped bed canopies, it always makes me feel like I'm in a scene from Alice in Wonderland. If only it were more acceptable for an adult to have a bedroom that is painted in primary colours and has a crocodile for a draught excluder, I'd kit mine out just like it. As well as this, a lot of the soft toys on sale have some of their price donated to Save The Children and UNICEF, so you can feel like you have done a good deed when parting with your cash.

We managed to find the majority of what we wanted, along with a few extras that couldn't be resisted, (I bought the most amazing frog shaped storage for the back of my bedroom door) and the prices are so reasonable that it was a pleasant surprise when upon reaching the till we were presented with such a meagre total.

I'm definately not one for decking the whole house out in Ikea furniture, as it can create a bleak, cold effect that looks like an image lifted from the catalog, but the odd piece here and there can save you a lot of money and it is good quality, unlike a lot of cheap furniture on the market. And anywhere that can offer you a hotdog, chips and a drink for just £1.80 to chomp on the journey home must be a winner, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment