Wednesday 29 September 2010

The New Pad!

Lancaster

I am thrilled to be in a house in town for my final year in Lancaster. After two years on campus (County South and Townhouses) I was really desperate to get out into the world and have a proper house to make my own. I'm living alone (looonnng story!) which isn't ideal, but I've got used to the fact and am going to use it as an excuse to have a permanent open house.

As I don't have a scary landlord to shout at me if I paint a room, I decided to go the whole hog and properly put my stamp on the house- I will be living there for a year after all. The

kitchen and bathroom are both modern anyway so there was little to do to jazz them up except put up some pictures, and of course add my spotty tea cosy clad teapot onto the kitchen worksurface. I also placed three little silver pails onto the windowsill to keep herbs in, and bought utensils in pastel colours to give the overall room a girly feel.

The front room had previously been used as a bedroom, so there wasn't much character to it. As there is a fireplace in there (albeit disconnected) I decided to make that wall a feature wall, so chose a wallpaper printed with large blue and green flowers. My leather sofa is navy blue so it all matches in well, and I also found a
rug from home that covered the slightly shabby carpet. A few candles and photos here and there, standard TV and DVD player, and it is now a homely living room.

The positive of no longer having a bedroom downstairs is that I can use the second reception room as a dining room. Again, I chose a feature wall, this time painting it a pale forest green, and bought a table and bookshelf in white for a direct contrast. Being a lover of Ikea, I chose two quirky fabric prints from there that were predominantly white and green, one to make a runner for the table, and the other for seat covers for my dining room chairs. My mum made me some green curtains, with tie backs in the same material as the seatcovers, and a
vertical mirror turned horizontally made a good focal point on the green wall. In the hallway I have a carpet runner in beige with little sunbursts along the edges, and up the stairs I have put three vintage Disney posters (The Jungle Book, Aristocats and Alice in Wonderland) just to add a little something extra to the bare walls.

For my bedroom, I wanted somewhere to properly relax, and so chose pale brown and duck egg blue as the two main colours. I painted one wall brown and left the other three in cream, and got a blue bedspread with brown detailing. The furniture in there is pale beech wood, so it all tones in well, and a couple of scatter cushions on the bed give it a comfortable feel. The second bedroom upstairs I am using as a dressing room/ office, so I have put up lots of pictures and adverts to make it look pretty and inspiring when I am working.

Over summer I decided to get a pet rabbit once I moved in, so with the house all finished that was all that was left to be done. My grandpa made me a hutch that fits neatly down an alley in the kitchen, and so once that was in place I popped off to buy one. I came home with a grey girl bunny who I have named Saffy. She is left to hop around the house when I am in, and is settling in nicely already!

No comments:

Post a Comment