Monday 19 September 2011

Autumn Views...

The Inbetweeners Movie- 3 stars ***

After three series screened on E4 that were hugely successful, a film based on the exploits of the four teenage boys dubbed 'The Inbetweeners' was bound to happen. This time, as opposed to following the foursome around their school and home lives as they desperately try to snare girlfriends, underage drink and make fools of themselves; the audience are transported to the glorious destination of Malia where, you guessed it, they try to snare girlfriends, drink (legally for once) and make fools of themselves.

Following a breakup with his first love, poor Simon is trying to get over his ex, while Jay is on a mission for 'clunge' and Will is desperately trying to lose his virginity. Neil, as ever, is content following the others around, making naively stupid comments and throwing some seriously funky shapes on the dancefloor.

I must admit, I was dubious. After seeing two different trailers, both fairly long, I thought it would be a case of paying £6 to watch extended versions of the jokes used to reel you in. Though this did occur in certain scenes, it was by no means the majority of the laughs available. It was original as ever and extremely relateable given that I was 18 myself not too many years ago!

There were more than a few hugely funny parts, and the opportunity for lots of memorable quotes to be stolen (I was guilty of this when on holiday recently). My particular favourite scene involved Neil dancing on an empty dancefloor in a seedy bar, and although the beginning was familiar from one of the trailers, I was not prepared for the events that followed- hilarious!

The only qualm I had was that it seemed in parts as though the writers were deliberately trying to get some kind of message across, which felt quite forced and unnecessary. Everyone I know has gone to see the film for a bit of a lighthearted laugh, so I really don't feel that a serious undertone was needed. Also, it did feel a bit drawn out to say that the storyline was fairly basic; the feature was 1 hour 45 minutes long.

Overall though I'd say it's a success. There have been much worse TV-to-film adaptations that have seriously flunked, and I'd be very surprised if this joins their ranks - it has already grossed 35 million pounds! See it for a laugh, not a life-changing experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment