Tuesday 26 July 2011

Benicassim 2011

Days 1- 4

Two weeks ago I went with my sister and nine of her friends to Benicassim in Spain for the annual music festival they hold there. I went in 2009 with two of my own friends and loved it, so after doing Glastonbury last year I decided this year was the time to go back.

We arrived at around 2pm on Monday 11th July, and pitched our tents before wandering down to the beach to soak up some sun. After a couple of hours, we headed back to camp, stopping for some wine in a little bar down a side street. That evening we stayed by our tents and played some drinking games to mark our first night before hitting the sack relatively early.


The following day we returned to the beach for a full day of sunbathing and sea. Once we had got back to camp in the evening and made ourselves pretty, we went into town. The boys from home that we had arranged to meet up with arrived that day so we decided to go for a communal meal. We ate in an amazing tapas bar, where we had no idea what we were ordering as it was all in Spanish. We made some good choices though, as we had mussels, two types of paella, bacon and cheese croquets, calamari, squid tentacles, tuna and potato salad and some battered prawns that were literally the biggest I have ever seen. Afterwards we went to a bar that was serving pints of mojito for 6 euros, and they were soo good! We stayed there for quite a while, and then went to a club near the arena called Harlem Lounge, that played some absolute tunes and was free entry. I left at 3am as I was really tired, but everyone else stayed around until 5am and had a really good night.


The following day we were all feeling a little worse for wear, but after trekking back to the beach, we collapsed and slept in the sun for the majority of the day to re-cooperate. That evening we made friends with our neighbours, including a pair who had a paddling pool, and we got to know each other while playing some more drinking games. We were introduced to the amazing game that is Dead Man, where the unlucky candidate has to go and stand in a specified place with their head down and is not allowed to talk to anyone until they are relieved of their duties. Typically I was first, and the camp I invaded proceeded to pick me up and throw me in the air, so it was hard to keep a straight face!

On Thursday the excess drinking and lack of sleep was really getting the better of me (and I was horribly sunburnt), so while everyone else went to the waterpark, I stayed at camp with two of the girls and chilled out for the day. In the afternoon we wandered into town for some late lunch, and stopped in a bar with a lovely sun terrace outside. I had a bacon and brie baguette and some iced tea, which perked me right up ready for the start of the musical festivities that evening! (see next post for continuation).

No comments:

Post a Comment