Saturday 26 October 2013

New Tastes...

Mudcrab, Didsbury

Last night, a group of us went to Mudcrab in Didsbury for dinner. There were ten of us, so we had booked in advance, and it was a good job, as the place was heaving! It gave it a bustling atmosphere though, and always proves the food must be tasty!

I shared a bottle of the house white wine with Emily and Laura, which was £16, so about average price, and it was a decent bottle of plonk. The majority of the menu is burgers, so I felt like I should really be having a milkshake or a beer with it, but I don't drink the latter, and felt I should take advantage of not being a designated driver by having a drink!

After perusing the menu I was tempted by a lot of the starters as they sounded delicious; in particular the crab tartlette with spiced avocado, or the pulled pork taco with sticky sesame dressing, but I wasn't super hungry so just stuck to a main. I went for the Trash Burger, a cheeseburger with the option of adding extras, (there were loads of items, hummus, salsa, guacamole, beef brisket, even a sugared doughnut!) I got barbecue sauce and a side of 'good chips' to go with it. To be honest, I chose this because their '2nd Best Cheeseburger' came with burger sauce, dill pickles and fried onions none of which I was really bothered about, but then mine had this on anyway. It was a little confusing that I paid £5.95 for the burger, 75p for the additional sauce, and £3 for chips, yet Emily ordered the standard cheeseburger, which came with exactly the same minus the sauce and was 20p more... so I made a note to construct my own again next time.

The barbecue sauce came in a little bowl on the side which seemed a little weird - why order it as an extra on the burger for it to be put on the side?! I just stuck it on myself, and the food was top notch, a really great juicy burger with plenty of cheese, and the chips were half skinned and seasoned perfectly - no need for salt. I would have liked to be able to have a brioche bun as I love them, but they didn't have a choice, which seemed a shame.

It sounds like I am giving a lot of negatives, but I really enjoyed my outing to Mudcrab, the food was great, and whole feel of the bar and restaurant was modern and trendy. The prices were competitive and starters and alternative dishes unusual and interesting (one burger was served with peanut butter and a fried egg in the bun!). I would just say that they should make the menu a little clearer!

No comments:

Post a Comment