Thursday 6 January 2011

New Tastes...

Wagamama, Manchester

Last night, three friends and I decided to go for a meal and a few drinks in Manchester, as we are all heading back to uni soon. It is a tradition amongst us all to go to Wagamama, as it's cheap, a bit different and really tasty! We hopped on a train, and were soon sat in the warmth of the restaurant on their trademark communal benches. For those that haven't been before, Wagamama serves Asian food, with a few quirky culture differences to how you dine.

For a start, as mentioned before, rather than having individual tables, there are long benches to sit on, so everyone sits together in rows. I personally like this, as it means

even dining alone you can get talking to people, and it makes it feel sociable and informal. As well as this, the food is served when it is ready, regardless of English tradition, so often one dish appears, and others in the group may be waiting ten more minutes before they get theirs. This could be awkward if you were eating with someone who is strict with etiquette, but I tend to go with friends, so we just start while it's hot! The menu is split up into different categories depending on what the dishes mainly consist of (rice, noodles etc) and then you can order various sides as well.

I ordered Cha Han, which I have had before and really like. It is 'stir-fried rice with chicken and prawns or tofu, egg, mangetout, mushrooms, sweetcorn and spring onion' AND IT comes with a little bowl of miso soup, and pickles. My friends had all ordered the Chicken Katsu Curry (they get it every time!) and mine happened to arrive first, so I tucked into the miso soup while we waited for theirs to come. It was all gorgeous, and I don't think it would come as a surprise to people I know that I would head back there in a flash. It is also relatively healthy, and has plenty of veg in it, so I feel less guilty for eating out!

After the meal we went for a few drinks in the Northern Quarter, which then turned into a few more drinks on Deansgate, and a night ending in 5th Avenue. But then the unplanned nights are always the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment