Wednesday 23 January 2013

Inspired by a friend

I wrote this as a thankyou to a friend as he helped broaden my musical horizons by making me a CD. He has recently moved to London from Leeds, so I wanted to write him something about it that felt personal but could be appreciated by others as well. I hope it is! 
Having taken the time to write this, I realised how much I miss writing poetry, so in theory you should see some more creative pieces on here throughout the year. That's the plan anyway!

The Big Smoke
A journey is taken from North to South,
from heart of the country to urban mouth.
An arduous passage of sixty leagues,
through midlands, motorways, borders and trees.
A city where gherkins are made of glass;
and girls are all ‘darlin’s’ no chance of a ‘lass’.
A place where two snakes roam freely around -
one flows below bridges, one’s underground.
Although it is change from what used to be,
It’s chance to explore and hopefully see;
strange become normal and normal is fine,
(but don’t let normal be boring in time).
So keep living your life with a smile on your face,
and if the worst happens? Kick it back into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment