Saturday 6 April 2013

Traveller's Tales...

Oxfordshire & The Cotswolds

I have just returned from a lovely couple of days in Sibford Ferris and Kingham in Oxfordshire and the Cotwolds. As is practically tradition now I was staying with university friends, and arrived at Timna's in the early evening on Thursday. She had a couple of old school friends round, and we were originally intending to go out in Banbury, but the energy levels were low, so we decided to stay in and have some food and drinks at home instead. I got pretty drunk actually, and we went through some bizarre concoctions due to running out of booze, including brandy and lemonade, and ginger wine!

The following morning I had a pleasant lie in and then we lounged about for pretty much the whole day! It is really nice to chill out though, especially as Timna's house is a cottage with a lovely open fire, so it always feels nice and homely and cosy. We eventually got dressed and presentable, and I went with Timna, her brother Laurie and her friend Sam to her old school to play squash. After previous attempts at uni, I made the sensible decision to sit out the playing and partake in a bit of observation, which was definitely less tiring too!

I left at about half seven and drove to Daylesford, a gorgeous cafe/ deli/ farm shop that I have been to a couple of times before as it is a Laura Lane favourite (who I was meeting). This time was different though as it was for an evening meal, which they only serve on a Friday and Saturday, and it was a really nice experience. The menu is kept very simple with a minimal choice of starters and mains, and you have to book as at times it can get very busy due to its exclusivity. This night we were lucky as there weren't many people there, and because the clocks recently changed the lighting was dimmed which is really pretty in the main dining hall as it has huge windows and high ceilings with beams. 

We got a mixture of bread to share (I had one with dates and walnuts in, which was incredible!) and they were served with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. I chose a steak for my main course so opted for red wine to accompany it, and the meat was served with broccoli, roast potatoes and a gorgeous creamy mushroom sauce on the side in a jug. Portions were very generous and staff attentive to our every need. I chose not to get a dessert as nothing took my fancy (although the Christmas pudding baked alaska did pique my curiousity) but Laura and her fiancĂ© Dickon got an espresso each, and with a tip mine came to £28 which I thought was very reasonable for the quality of my meal. I was actually quite surprised as I had been warned it would be pricey.

Afterwards we went back to Laura's and watched a film accompanied by Dickon's famous Caipirinha's and sweet and salty popcorn (it's a revolution, try it!). The following morning we went for a nice stroll around the grounds of the boarding school that Laura's parents reside in, and then I set off at 2pm after some lunch in the sunshine. A lovely jaunt as usual!

No comments:

Post a Comment