Tuesday 5 October 2010

Autumn Reads...

A Taste Of Honey by Darren Coleman- 3 stars ***

This was a complete spur of the moment book, as I went to the library looking for Lewis Carroll and came back with Darren Coleman!

A Taste Of Honey is essentially the tale of a high end call girl who falls in love; however is isn't quite as simple as that. Her mother is accidentally murdered when Honey is a teenager, so she is sent to live with an aunt whose over protectiveness pushes her into rebellion. In order to earn enough money to move out she enters into a life of prostitution. Dazzled by the cash and glamour, Honey has no intention of giving it up; until she meets Khalil on a plane one day. When it becomes apparent that Khalil has something to do with her past, Honey decides to play a cruel game of revenge.

This book was actually really good. I didn't hold out much hope after the first few chapters, but it had lots of unexpected twists and more than a few occasions that made me gasp out loud. The characters are well crafted and interesting, especially the contrast in morals between Khalil and Honey. I was surprised when I discovered that this novel had a male author, as both the subject topic and how it is written seems quite feminine to me. It is refreshing to find a man who shows things from a masculine and feminine perspective in a realistic light.

I would definitely seek out some more of Coleman's work after reading A Taste Of Honey; it was dramatic, gripping and took me through a string of emotions along the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment