Thursday 11 November 2010

Autumn Views...

Burke and Hare- 3 stars ***

Last February my boyfriend and I went to Edinburgh for a weekend; and whilst there we visited the Edinburgh Dungeons. The story of graverobbers Burke and Hare was featured in the attraction, so when we heard that a film was being made about them, we were keen to see it once it was released.

The first thing I noticed about the film, was the huge amount of cameos throughout it, which made watching it like playing Guess Who. Some of my favourites were Ronnie Corbett as self-important Captain McLintock and Paul Whitehouse as a random drunkard (not a far cry from a certain Fast Show sketch...) but Bill Bailey, Tim Curry, Christopher Lee and Stephen Merchant all cropped up at various points, proving that it really was an 'all star cast'.

The plot wasn't overly complicated, but then that set up the comedic aspects of it well, as people wern't expecting it to have moral messages or heartfelt relationships and could just enjoy it for what it was: a lighthearted comedy with some classic slapstick thrown in for good measure. I also really liked how the whole cast attempted to do Scottish accents, even if some were very shaky. It always surprises me that films set in certain regional areas often ignore this obvious key to making the performances more credible, so I admired the effort.

Simon Pegg and Andy Serkis (Gollum from LOTR) played the famous duo of Burke and Hare, and I thought they did the parts huge justice. Serkis as William Hare was brilliant, encouraging Burke to continue in their escapades with no second thoughts, together with his wife Lucky (Jessica Hynes). Pegg as Burke had a much more sensitive side to him, falling for a girl (Isla Fisher) and always feeling guilty for the deeds that the pair get up to. Together, they are hopelessly unlucky, clumsy, unreliable and incompetent; which makes for interesting viewing!

The set and costumes I adored, as Edinburgh has some beautiful scenery, and I love the attention to detail with the fashion of the era; corsets, lace, hats and buckled boots- I'd be in my element living in the 19th century!

I would recommend this to anyone who wants an easy going film that will leave you feeling like you haven't wasted your money (a rarity in the cinema these days). It may not go down in the books of history, or win lots of Oscars, but I think it showcases British talent well, and is definately worth a watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment