Saturday 13 November 2010

Days Out...

Manchester, LUFS Style!
Today has been marked in my calendar for a few weeks, as the day that Lancaster University Fashion Society would hit Manchester for a day of quality shopping as opposed to traipsing around the disappointing shops that form Lancaster city centre. Most of the group got an early train, but I met them all slightly later outside Primark. After a quick dash around inside resulting in a new pair of black studded flats (greatly needed) we headed onto the main high street.Despite a sale in Miss Selfridge, there was nothing within my price range that caught my eye, so we 'popped' into H and M. It is one of my personal favourite shops, as it has elegant evening wear, a huge range of accessories and a permanently quirky young trend section; as well as being very reasonably priced. It appears that I'm not the only one who has a loyalty to the store though, as we spent nearly an hour in there! I got a fabulous black leather shift dress for just £15 that fits perfectly, I'm so excited to wear it! A couple of the other girls got things as well, including two who bought the same pale pink silk dress, that I very nearly succumbed to myself; it was a bargain at only £10!

At this point we were all a bit peckish, so decided to go to Pizza Hut for lunch. En route we stopped for a flit around Urban Outfitters, which is one of those shops that I both adore and resent at the same time. The displays are always so eye catching and I love the homeware and the coffee table book collection that is always out to have a flick through. However, I just can't except the extortionate prices of the place. I understand that the individual designer pieces are always going to be extravagantly priced, but when a pair of cut off jean shorts with a little flower patch on them are £40, and a (not real) gold pocket watch is £25, I just can't take it seriously. It just looks like a charity shop collection adjusted for a market that don't want to admit that an old lady has worn it before them. Just because it's four times the price, doesn't erase an item's past. Besides, I thought that was the beauty of vintage anyway?

Pizza Hut was decked out in Christmas gear already, which I loved as I'm such a sucker for this time of year! Being able to eat a steaming Farmhouse pizza (ham and mushroom) whilst sat next to a Christmas tree covered in twinkly lights and watch as the winter evening drew nearer was simply gorgeous.

After our late lunch we went around River Island, Topshop and New Look, but by then I'd also spent £12.50 on a new MAC lipstick (Myth- I swear by it) so had to be satisfied with window shopping. We then split up as I had a train to catch. I snuck into Afflecks to buy a new tongue bar (again much needed) and made it back to the station in time to collect my bag from storage and hop on my local train to go home for part of my reading week. If only it was a reading week that I could spend doing nothing...

No comments:

Post a Comment