Monday 7 November 2011

Traveller's Tales...

The Blitz Party, Shoreditch, London

Last weekend I went to London for my friend Charlotte's birthday (see previous post). One of the main reasons we went was to go to The Blitz Party, which I heard of through a friend and instantly wanted to go to. It takes place approximately every month in Shoreditch, in an old warehouse that is decked out to look like a 1940s air raid shelter.

This isn't just some random choice, the whole evening is themed in order to recreate the glamour and fun of life during the war in the 40s, and so everyone gets dressed up accordingly, and there was a swing band on, who were amazing. They played two sets, the first dressed in suits and braces, and the second in full marine uniform, which was so cool! Everyone was getting in the spirit, dancing away and enjoying themselves.

I think it was the little touches that made the night such a success; the drinks menus were printed on brown paper 'ration books' and contained cocktails such as a 'Gin Fizz', and a speciality called simply 'The Blitz' which was served in a champagne glass. All the bar staff were in fancy dress, and some had really made an effort to say it was just a job for them. There were old gas mask cases, and vintage cornflake boxes on shelves above the toilet doors, and sandbags were used to surround the benched seating areas as back rests.


The tickets were £20 which sounds like a lot, but for a night out in London that was so well planned and original I thought it was well worth it, and would definitely go again - even my parents want to go after seeing my pictures! The next event is on New Years Eve, which I think will be an incredible was to see in 2012, but as I already have plans I will be skipping that one. As well as the 40s themed nights, the same company also do 'Belle Epoque' nights out, and there was a gothic themed one for Halloween that looked right up my street. Maybe next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment