Tuesday 9 July 2013

New Tastes...

The Axe and Cleaver, Dunham Massey

Yesterday, I went out for lunch at The Axe and Cleaver in Dunham Massey with Lydia. She is just about to go and do her elective part of her medical degree in South Africa for 4 months, so this was our last opportunity to meet beforehand.

It was a gorgeous sunny day, so I suggested the venue as it has an outside sitting area, and is in the countryside so feels nice in the sunshine. I must admit, I was surprised at the cheapness of the menu; as it is one of just a handful of pubs in the area, so there is no need for them to lower prices to beat competitors. I got a J2O with lemonade to drink as I wanted something long to keep my thirst quenched.

I opted for scampi and chips, served with mushy peas, and Lydia went for a steak and onion sandwich. Hers was served with crisps, but for £1 extra they were happy to swap them for chips instead. The meals are cheap and cheerful, nothing gourmet just good, hearty grub. Portions are generous, and there are many sauces available to compliment the food. 

We were pretty full afterwards, but there was a decent looking dessert menu so next time I'd be tempted to try something off that. Altogether with our drinks it came to £18, so we made it a tenner each for ease, and then there was a little tip for the staff. We chose off the lunch time menu available Monday-Saturday before 5pm, where there are various groups of dishes priced at £4.95 (mine), £5.95 (Lydia's) or £6.95, and a starter or dessert can be added for just £2 each. I'd definitely recommend trying here if you're in the area, and it's especially nice as a stop off if you're doing one of the Dunham Massey walks.

No comments:

Post a Comment