Monday 7 July 2014

Travellers' Tales...

NYC - Part 1 (Sat-Mon)

This could be a long post, as I feel I have crammed so much into my first three days here in New York!

Saturday was a fairly chilled one, as we arrived at our hotel (the Hyatt Regency in Jersey City) at 1pm and I went to my room straightaway for a while so I could unpack. Anjali and Aum's wasn't ready so they waited downstairs and I joined them afterwards for some lunch. I had a simple salad of spinach, olives, tomatoes and bacon with a ranch dressing which was really tasty. After lunch we went back to our rooms (theirs was now ready) and relaxed for a while. At this point it was around 3pm (8pm UK time) so we were all fairly tired after very early starts. We were going to go out but we all just didn't have the energy so stayed in our rooms - I was fast asleep by 8pm!

Yesterday we were all up really early because of the jetlag, I got out of bed at 6.30am and showered before meeting Aum and Anjali for breakfast at an American diner near the hotel called City Diner. In true US style I ordered a waffle with bacon and poached eggs; which filled a hole as having missed dinner the previous evening I was ravenous!

Straight after breakfast we caught the ferry across the River Hudson to the Financial District (very reasonably priced at $5 return for the weekend) and walked to find Wall Street and the New York Stock Market. We then continued walking for the whole rest of the day! From Wall Street we went along to see Brooklyn Bridge and Seaport, through China Town and Soho where we stopped for a drink. Next we went up through Greenwich to Macy's where we had a toilet break and Aum had some lunch (I was still stuffed from breakfast!).

Outside Macy's we jumped in a cab to Central Park, but by this point we were all knackered so only stayed for ten minutes before jumping back in a taxi to the ferry port and going back to the hotel. That evening after an hours chill in our rooms we went out for dinner to a place called Honshu Noodle Bar where we shared some edamame, pork dumplings and vegetable spring rolls before I had shrimp udon for main. We walked (waddled) back to the hotel where I lasted for half an hour before falling asleep at 8pm again!


This morning we woke up super early ready for Aum's first day at summer school. We ate at the diner again, this time I had three huge pancakes topped with nutella and granola - it was delicious! Then we used Uber to catch a cab to school (this app has been a lifesaver over here!) and dropped Aum off. After getting a taxi back to the hotel I went for a run along the boardwalks, great view to exercise to with the New York skyline in front of me!

After a quick shower I went for a wander around Hoboken where we're staying. I walked along the seafront and stopped to read my book for a while when I got a bit hot (the weather is so nice!). I was trying to find the mall but must have missed it and ended up in a Target where I bought some supplies for nibbling! I eventually found the mall and had a look around, there's a Macy's and a few other decent shops, handy to have nearby.

Anjali picked Aum up and we went for a walk around Liberty Park, which is the best place to see the Statue Of Liberty from apart from going around Ellis Island on a ferry. We ate at a bistro called Amelia's where I had incredible mac and cheese with bacon, mushrooms and truffle oil in. We walked back to the hotel as Aum was really sleepy, and I plan on sleeping soon after reading for a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment