Sunday 16 March 2014

Homemade Recipes...

Spanish Night!

Last night, I had people round for a little dinner party, and decided to do a Spanish theme. There were six of us, a nice number for sharing dishes, so to start I did some tapas - garlic prawns and meatballs in a tomato sauce, along with some bread with balsamic vinegar and olives. It went down very well, and was all fairly simple to make - I cheated a little and used premade meatballs, but apart from that I cooked it all up myself. I was particularly impressed with the prawns, they looked and tasted amazing to say it was literally garlic cloves browned in olive oil and then used to flash fry the king prawns.

Getting in the spirit of things I also made a jug of sangria (though unfortunately I am still doing the no drinking thing so had to pass myself). It was made with two parts red wine, two parts orange juice and one part lemonade, and I put apples and oranges in it and left it in the fridge for a few hours before serving. The recipients said it was really fruity and not as rich as normal Spanish sangria, which was obviously a good thing as none was left over! 

For the main course I played it safe with a paella, another great dish to make when serving a larger group. It only took half an hour and was a very straightforward recipe to follow (found in one of my mum's Spanish cooking books) I chose to include chicken, pork, chorizo and prawns, and borrowed one of the traditional large pans from my mum to cook and serve it in.

We were all pretty full afterwards, but had just enough room to fit in a slice of the amazing blueberry cake that Anna, one of the guests, had made. It was huge and covered in delicious cream cheese icing and blueberries. Later we also had cheese and biscuits, I went to bed that evening feeling very indulged!

No comments:

Post a Comment