Monday 4 April 2011

Homemade Recipes!

Hungarian Goulash


As a belated Mother's Day treat, I am partway through cooking Goulash for the family. I have never actually eaten it myself, but am using a recipe from a 'slow cooking' book that my mum owns.

4.45pm- To start with, I put 2 tbsp oil into a large pan and fried two onions in it until soft. I then added 900g cubed beef and browned it, before adding 2 tbsp paprika, a clove of garlic, a pinch of salt and a generous pinch of caraway seeds. I then removed the pan from the heat and added a chopped tomato, and 2 pints of beef stock before putting back on to simmer for 1 1/2 hours.

6.15pm- After this time, I added 6 smallish potatoes, 2 green peppers, and 2 medium sized carrots, but really any veg would do- broccoli, squash, swede etc. Then I left it until the potatoes had cooked through, and the liquid had reduced (you may need to add some cornflour if it is still watery after a substantial amount of time).


7pm- Now ready, the Goulash can be served with dumplings, rice, veg, or my personal preference, on its own with some chunky brown bread- delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment