Saturday 30 April 2011

New Tastes...

The Mhariam, Timperley

This evening I went to The Mhariam in Timperley Village where I live, with my family and some friends. It is a lovely Indian restaurant that I have been to twice before, but it never fails to deliver. It is unlicensed, so it makes the night even cheaper as you can take your own wine/ beer/ soft drinks to save on the bill.

We started with some poppadoms, though I am not a huge fan so skipped them, and saved space for our starters. We got chicken pakoras, onion bhajis and a mixed starter platter to share between the four of us, and the other family we went with did the same. The portions are all the perfect size for sharing, yet don't contain too much that you have no room left for the main courses. I especially liked the pakoras, as the chicken was so succulent, and they had just enough spice to whet the appetite for more.

For the main course, we did the same, and got a few curries to share. I ordered a chicken karai, and we also got a chicken korma and a lamb balti. My sister is a bit of a wimp when it comes to spicy food, so she mainly had the korma, but I enjoyed both the karai and the balti. The karai was served in an iron bowl on wood, and was steaming hot upon arrival, which was a nice feature to the dish. I had it with chapattis as I love the things, but we also ordered rice and a peshwari naan for those who wanted it.


Afterwards, stuffed and satisfied (I had been hungover all day, and this was the perfect cure) we walked back to our house and watched a bit of television while eating cheese and biscuits, after a bit of a break of course! The whole meal for all eight of us came to £88, so worked out at eleven quid a head, not bad for a gorgeous authentic Indian. I would highly recommend it, but make sure you book, as there is limited space, and they have set service times, so you cannot just turn up. It is worth the hassle though, as you won't be disappointed with the quality of food, and the staff are all really friendly- my parents go so often they are on first name terms!

No comments:

Post a Comment