Wednesday 20 March 2013

New Tastes...

The Grill on New York Street, Manchester

As I am going away to Paris tomorrow for a few days, I met Mo for lunch today and we went to The Grill on New York Street in Manchester. He raves about the place as he goes all the time with work with it being nearby, so I was happy to try it when he suggested heading there. It is part of the Blackhouse grill chain, which locally also includes Grill on the Alley in the city centre, Grill on the Edge in Alderley Edge, Hale Bar and Grill in Hale and Grill on Newgate Street in Chester, as well as branches in London, Glasgow and Leeds.

As soon as we walked in I liked the atmosphere. It was all glass and dark wood, with low lighting and a choice of bar type high tables and ground level normal ones. To say it was just a normal Wednesday lunchtime, it was busy enough to feel slightly bustling, but not overcrowded. There was space to hang your coat, and we were greeted at the door and quickly led to our table by a very pleasant waitress.

I had already had a quick look at the menu online, so had spotted that they did a 'Posh Surf and Turf' which was a 230g sirloin steak served with prawns, crayfish and scallops, which I love. I opted for that, and I also ordered some chips as the dish didn't come with any side orders. Mo got a 330g ribeye (which came with chips) with garlic king prawns to start. I tried one when it arrived and they were delicious, though I did think for the £9 price tag, four king prawns and two little crustinis was a little meagre.

Our mains arrived and my steak was amazing, cooked medium exactly how I like it, and had the seafood on the top with some garlic butter, so no sauce was needed. The steak was juicy enough that even without the scallops, prawns and crayfish it would have been sufficient plain. I managed to finish it all despite the huge portion of chips, which arrived in a lovely little metal fryer type basket, (I think a half portion would have sufficed) and was very full afterwards, I didn't have any tea this evening!

The bill would have come to £51 without a tip, but as Mo had managed to borrow a Hi-Life card from a friend at work (another reason why they always go!), we got the main courses BOGOF so it was £34, which was brilliant, and I would definitely go back, perhaps trying the one in Hale or Alderley next time for a change of scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment