Thursday 7 March 2013

Spring Sounds...

Tokolosh at Soup Kitchen, Manchester

I got a text a few weeks ago from my dad's friend Phil, saying he had three tickets going begging to Liam Frost's new band Tokolosh playing at the Soup Kitchen. Always being up for hearing some new music (all the more so when it's free!) I asked my friend Abi if she fancied it, and we went along last night.

I'd never been to the venue before, but it was pretty cool, the ground floor is a cafe/ bar, and then when you go downstairs there's a sort of vault where bands play, and another bar. We got a drink and stood towards the back as the support played, who were an 'alternative folk' band called Hawker Reunion. They were nice and easy listening so it gave Abi and I a chance to catch up whilst hearing some pleasant background music.

Tokolosh came on at half nine, and to be honest I didn't really know what to expect. I had attempted to listen to some of their material but couldn't get hold of any online, so gave up in the end! They opened with their most recent single 'Tokohorse' which was bassier and more lively than I expected - I had heard some of Liam Frost's solo stuff and it is pretty chilled and acoustic so thought it would be similar. It had quite an electronic feel, using sound effects on a keyboard, and I enjoyed the sense of futurism it gave the music.

The band continued to play a good set that lasted about forty minutes, including songs that they introduced called 'Bloodlines', 'The Hollow' and my personal favourite 'Your Love' which had high pitched guitar in the background and a vibe that really made me want to dance!

 I'm really glad we chanced it and went along, as both Abi and I commented on how much we had enjoyed ourselves and how impressed we were at the quality of music. I'd also like to go to Soup Kitchen on a normal night to see what it is like when bands aren't playing, as it seemed like a really relaxed, welcoming place, and is open until 3am, a rarity in the Northern Quarter!

No comments:

Post a Comment