Sunday 5 January 2014

New Tastes...

Dee Thai, Hale

Last night I went out with Emily, Tasha, Smeed, Lydia and her boyfriend Rob for a meal at Dee Thai in Hale. I have only ever eaten there once when I was 17, and the Khurana's eat there nearly every week, so I always hear amazing things about it, and was looking forward to sampling some lovely Thai food.

I had quite a late lunch so wasn't super hungry, so Tasha and I agreed to get a starter each but share a main course, which suited me fine. I got duck spring rolls, which were the best I have ever had - the duck was fresh and juicy (I am usually not a huge fan of duck as it is often dry) nicely packed with cucumber and left open at the top. The rolls were large so easy to eat with fingers, and served with a gorgeous dipping sauce, I think it was a variation on Hoi Sin. Tasha got prawn toast, so we shared a bit of each others as well. Lydia and Rob shared a mixed starter which looked very fancy, displayed on a platter with things sticking up from the plate! Emily and Smeed got some prawn crackers and chilli beef.

The starter portion sizes were perfect for what we were doing, as they were quite large, yet our main was moderate if a bit on the small side so with rice to share it was ideal. I would say if two are eating and not getting starters, a full main and rice/ noodles etc would be required each for a decent meal. 

For our main, we got tamarind king prawn, which had huge prawns in, although there were only six between us so it's a good job they were big! The rice was a good size, and there was plenty of sauce to pour over it. It is a dish I haven't tried before, but was quite sweet and salty, which I was surprised to find I liked, and I would order it again.

Between five of us we had three bottles of wine (a Riesling, which complimented the Thai flavours really well) and with a tip mine and Tasha's share came to £30 each which I didn't think was too bad, as it is an upper end of the market kind of restaurant. I hope it isn't another six years until I return!

No comments:

Post a Comment